When it comes to rifles, M&P Sport 2 by Smith & Wesson is a top choice by competitive shooters and regular shooters alike. While the performance and accuracy of this gun are on par with much more expensive guns out there, it’s not a gun that will not give you any headache.
While I’m sure Smith & Wesson tried their hardest to make the weapon flawless, they still fell short. The gun is not obnoxiously bad or features any issues that will potentially break the gun on the spot.
Still, I feel like you should know of the issues of M&P Sport 2 and how to solve them. Knowing the issues of the gun will educate the potential buyers as well. With that in mind, let’s start.
Smith and Wesson M&P 15 Sport 2 Problems: Common Issues and Solutions
Knowing of the potential problems and their solution beforehand will come in handy. After all, prevention is better than cure.
1. Failure to Feed
One of the most common issues users face with the M&P 15 Sport 2 is a failure to feed properly. This occurs when the rifle fails to load the next round from the magazine into the chamber, resulting in a misfire or a malfunction.
- Dirty or fouled magazines
- Weak magazine springs
- The magazine is not properly inserted or engaged
- Dirty chamber or barrel
- Clean and inspect magazines regularly to remove any dirt or debris that may interfere with proper feeding.
- Replace weak magazine springs if necessary to ensure reliable feeding.
- Ensure that the magazine is fully inserted and engaged properly, with a positive click or lock sound.
- Clean the chamber and barrel with an appropriate gun-cleaning solvent to remove any buildup or fouling.
2. Failure to Eject
Another common issue reported by M&P 15 Sport 2 users is a failure to eject spent casings. This can cause a jam in the firearm and prevent it from cycling properly.
- Weak or damaged extractor spring
- Dirty or worn ejector
- Inspect and replace the extractor spring if it appears weak or damaged. This small but vital part is responsible for gripping and ejecting spent casings.
- Clean the ejector to remove any dirt or debris that may impede proper ejection.
- Avoid over-lubrication, as excessive oil or grease can attract dirt and cause malfunctions. Use only the recommended amount of lubricant, applied in the appropriate areas.
3. Trigger Issues
Some M&P 15 Sport 2 owners have reported problems with the trigger, including a gritty or rough feeling, a heavy pull, or a failure to reset properly.
- Dirty or fouled trigger components
- Misaligned or worn trigger springs
- Poorly lubricated trigger mechanism
- Disassemble and clean the trigger components to remove any dirt or fouling. Pay special attention to the trigger bar and sear engagement surfaces.
- Inspect and adjust or replace any misaligned or worn trigger springs to ensure proper functionality.
- Lubricate the trigger mechanism with a small amount of recommended gun oil. Be sure to follow the manufacturer’s guidelines on lubrication.
4. Accuracy Issues
While the M&P 15 Sport 2 is generally praised for its accuracy, some users may experience accuracy issues that impact their shooting performance. These can range from inconsistent grouping to flyers and erratic bullet impact.
- Poor ammunition quality or inconsistency
- Loose barrel or front sight
- Inadequate cleaning and maintenance
- Shooter-related factors (grip, technique, etc.)
- Use high-quality, consistent ammunition to eliminate any variables caused by poor ammo performance.
- Check for any looseness in the barrel or front sight assembly. Ensure they are properly secured and tightened.
- Regularly clean and maintain your firearm to prevent buildup and ensure reliable accuracy.
- Evaluate and work on your shooting technique, grip, and form. Seek professional training if needed to improve your shooting skills.
Like any semi-automatic rifle, the M&P 15 Sport 2 can experience jamming issues, where the slide fails to cycle completely or gets stuck during the firing process.
- Weak or damaged recoil spring
- Magazine-related issues (dirty, worn, or damaged)
- Poor ammunition quality or inconsistency
- Inspect and replace the recoil spring if it appears weak or damaged. The recoil spring plays a crucial role in cycling the slide and allowing for proper ejection and feeding.
- Clean and inspect magazines regularly, ensuring they are free from dirt, debris, and damage.
- Use high-quality, consistent ammunition to minimize the chance of jamming issues.
Keep In Mind
The Smith and Wesson M&P 15 Sport 2 is an excellent rifle that offers reliability, accuracy, and ease of use. However, it’s important to be aware of the potential problems that can arise and know how to address them.
By understanding the causes and implementing the suggested solutions discussed in this article, you can ensure that your M&P 15 Sport 2 functions flawlessly, providing you with a dependable firearm for years to come.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. Why is my Smith and Wesson M&P 15 Sport 2 jamming frequently?
It is possible that the issue is with the ammunition being used. Ensure you are using high-quality, properly sized rounds and properly lubricating the firearm.
2. How can I fix the problem of the bolt not locking back after the last round?
Check if the magazine follower is functioning properly and if the bolt catch is properly aligned. Clean and lubricate the rifle regularly to ensure smooth operation.
3. What can I do if the trigger pull on my M&P 15 Sport 2 feels heavy?
Consider installing an aftermarket trigger kit to improve the trigger pull. Additionally, ensure the trigger mechanism is clean and free from debris to maintain optimal performance.
4. How can I address accuracy issues with my M&P 15 Sport 2?
Start by checking if the barrel nut is tightly secured. If the issue persists, try different types of ammunition to find the one that works best with your rifle. Consider upgrading to a better-quality barrel for improved accuracy.
5. What should I do if my M&P 15 Sport 2 fails to eject spent casings properly?
Inspect the gas rings on the bolt carrier for wear or damage. Replace if necessary. Also, clean and lubricate the bolt carrier group to ensure smooth cycling and ejection of casings.
In conclusion, the Smith & Wesson M&P 15 Sport 2 does have a few problematic areas that potential buyers should be aware of. Some common issues reported include occasional failures to eject properly and occasional feeding problems.
However, it is essential to note that not all users experience these problems, and they can often be mitigated with regular cleaning and maintenance.
Despite these challenges, the M&P 15 Sport 2 remains a popular choice among firearm enthusiasts for its overall reliability, accuracy, and affordability. Therefore, if you are considering purchasing the Smith & Wesson M&P 15 Sport 2, it’s worth keeping these caveats in mind.
What I mean is, that the gun is still good and a great performer, but it’s far from perfect. So, base your decision based on whether you are okay with these potential problems or not.